My husband and I have recently moved into a new home. It’s a huge improvement from the place we were living before. It’s almost double the size of our previous place, it’s got an open-concept first floor, and enough space for me to start my garden. Unfortunately, the time we moved in wasn’t the best for me to start gardening, but I’ve already done some changes in the house.
There was, however, one thing that Fabio and I have been procrastinating for a while, and that was replacing the toilets. They were gross! Usable, but gross! We thought about hiring a plumber, but it was too expensive for our budget. So we decided to check Home Depot. and we found out that it was a totally possible job to do. There’s a really great tutorial that describes step by step what needs to be done. There’s even a free workshop you can take that will help you find the tricks of the trade. My husband and I ended up missing the workshop, but we managed to get all the help we needed and all our questions answered by one of their staff. I love Home Depot. by the way.
So we gathered all the stuff we needed and finally replaced the toilet in the half bathroom on the first floor. It took us about 3 hours and we almost killed each other, but all in all, we did it! And it wasn’t that bad! However, we did not look forward to replacing the one on the main bathroom. So we did what all Brazilians do, we procrastinated instead of doing it! We even told each other that we’d do it before 201, but there came a moment that we couldn’t stand it any longer. This second time took us about 1:30hs and this time, we did not feel like our marriage was in jeopardy
After replacing two toilets I felt like I learned some lessons.
- It is not an impossible job. Replacing a toilet may seem like a crazy thing to do, but it’s not. It’s hard work (hence, why it’s so expensive), but it’s not a difficult one. Just don’t do it alone – you’ll see why on the second point.
- Toilets are heavy. And that’s why you shouldn’t do it alone. I totally belive in women ruling the world, but toilets are heavy, and men should do the heavy lifting.
- Pay attention to where the screws go. We didn’t have any problems the first time, but this second time I ended up misplacing the screw, so we accidentally used the screws for the top part to hold the bowl to the floor. Sadly, we will have to re-do that eventually.
- The Home Depot.’s videos are really helpful. They are really clear and detailed, so even if you have no experience you’ll probably do fine, just as we did.
- Replacing a toilet only makes a marriage stronger. Fabio and I learned a lot about each other.We learned that we are both leaders, but we’re good at different things. Fabio realized that I’m good with following directions and I learned that he’s good at taking the lead and doing stuff. This second time took us less time because I knew when to give him space and he asked me for the steps, since I had already learned them.
All in all, I have to say that I’m really proud of Fabio and I. This is something that I would have never thought possible to do, and we’ve done it twice! I’m not saying that we are super professional now, but if you feel like you need help, I’ll totally encourage you to change it. I might even help, if you’re sort of close to me.
I’ve notice that D.I.Y.s are a huge part of American culture and I feel like doing projects like this helps us learn more about how things are done here in the U.S. Have you ever taken a project like this? Or would you take on a project of this sort? I would love to hear your thoughts on the subject. Please share them with me on the comment section bellow. Thanks for stopping by. I really appreciate you time here reading my blog. See you next time.